Portable Equipment Status Frequently Asked Questions

Q:  I have a portable oilfield boiler that I sometimes move between Saskatchewan and Alberta.  What do I need to do to keep it active in both provinces?

A:    Provided you supply TSASK with the ABSA internal inspection report and the Certificate of Inspection every year when you renew your Saskatchewan licence to operate, there will be no problem moving the boiler back and forth between the provinces.  Please refer to clause 5.1.3 in Information Paper IP-2016-10-02 Additional Information and Requirements for Oilfield Boilers for more information.


Q:  I let my licence to operate lapse for an oilfield boiler that I use mostly in Alberta.  What do I need to do to get it licenced again in Saskatchewan?

A​:   In order to use the oilfield boiler again in Saskatchewan, you will need to submit the following to TSASK:

  • TSK-0001 Installation or Repair/Alteration Permit
  • TSK-0002 Application for a Licence to Operate
  • TSK-0006 Application for Portable Equipment Status
  • ABSA Rig Boiler Inspection Report and ABSA Certificate of Inspection (ensure extra TSASK requirements have been filled in)

Once TSASK receives all of the information above, your licence to operate will be processed.  Please refer to Clause 5.1.3 in Information Paper IP-2016-10-02 Additional Information and Requirements for Oilfield Boilers for more information.


Q:  Who defines what is portable equipment?

A:  The owner is responsible to determine if their equipment meets the criteria for portable equipment status.  TSASK defines portable equipment as pressure equipment that may be moved to new locations mulitple times per year.  If your equipment qualifies, then you may apply for portable status.

Remember that each piece of equipment must have a current licence to operate.  Mulitple pieces of equipment on a truck, trailer or skid are each deemed to be portable.  That is, if a skid has 6 pressure vessels, then the owner must apply for all 6 to have portable status.  Right now, the cost is $162/piece of equipment granted portable status. 


Q:  How do we apply for portable equipment status for multiple pieces of equipment?

A:  You will need to fill in TSK-0006 Application for Portable Equipment Status, which is an online form now.  You will also need to fill in the Multiple Portable Equipment Template spreadsheet on our portable equipment status webpage.  If the vessels are contained on a skid, make sure to make that clear on the application.  You can use a skid, trailer or truck number to identify the number of pieces on each skid, trailer or truck.  For example, if you have 6 pieces of pressure equipment on a skid, you can identify the skid number under the "Equipment Description" column on the spreadsheet.  Your entry may look something like, “Gas Separator – Skid XYZ”.  Then, under the Mounted On, select “Skid” from the drop down.  Continue adding the other 5 pieces of equipment contained on Skid XYZ using the same idea for each equipment description (Air Receiver - Skid XYZ, etc.).  This way, we will know that the Gas Separator is mounted on Skid XYZ with 5 other pieces of equipment.  This information will assist the Chief Inspector when reviewing the portable status application.  Also, please note that there is a $162 fee for EACH piece of equipment on the skid.

When completing the online form, under Equipment Information, you may skip filling in the sections (Boiler/Pressure Vessel/Equipment Description, etc.) as long as you provide the multiple equipment spreadsheet.  You can attach the spreadsheet by scrolling down to the “Multiple Portable Equipment Template” cell and select the Browse button.  You can then upload that completed spreadsheet into the form.


Q:  Does a TSASK Inspector have to review the equipment to determine if the equipment qualifies for portable equipment status?

A:  No.  The owner is responsible for determining if the equipment meets the criteria for portable status.  TSASK Inspectors may suggest and, sometimes require, that an owner apply for portable equipment status.  Finally, the only person who may approve portable equipment status is the Chief Inspector.


Q:  Are there any specific rules that help to determine if the equipment is portable?  We cannot say for sure how often the equipment might move - one year may be 5 or 6 times and the next it may not move at all.  Really depends on our operations.

A:  If the equipment is intended to be moved around and MAY move multiple times in a year, then you likely should request portable status.  Ultimately, TSASK will not be tracking the number of moves a piece of equipment makes in a year.  If it does not move in a year, you will not lose the portable status.   However, if you do not have portable status, each time you move the equipment, a TSASK Inspector will be required to inspect the installation at the new location.

TSASK may suspend or cancel the portable status if you, the owner, cannot locate the equipment when TSASK requests a location either for the regular TSASK inspection or for inventory reconciliation, etc.  Owners shall know at all times where the portable equipment is located or risk having the status suspended or cancelled.