Frequently Asked Questions

Codes & Standards Compliance

Click the title in the directory to be sent to that FAQ.

  Question 1 - How to get a CRN

  Question 2 - Rerating Vessels

  Question 3 - Rerating Piping

  Question 4 - Alternative to a CRN

  Question 5 - Alternative to a CRN

  Question 6 - Exempt Fittings

  Question 7 - Pressure Relief Valves

  Question 8 - Electronic Applications 

  Question 9 - Non-expedited Submissions

  Question 10 - Data Report Registration

  Question 11 - Outside SK CRN

  Question 12 - Expected Date on Expedited

  Question 13 - CRN Information

  Question 14 - Copy of CRN Registration

  Question 15 - Signatures on TSK-1002 Piping Data                                  Report

  Question 16 - Multiple Submissions

  Question 17 - Starting Work Prior to Registration

Question 18 - Expedited Service


Question 1:

What all do I need to submit to obtain a Saskatchewan CRN?

A:   For specific design submission requirements, you may select one of the program areas identified below, or click here to view our Codes & Standards Compliance main page. 

Return to Directory

Question 2:

Is design registration required for rerating vessels?

A:  Yes.  Design registration is required for rerates. For pressure vessels, the Manufacturer's Data Report (MDR (U-1A)), TSK-1009 Repair/Alteration Report and TSK-1010 Application for Boiler/Pressure Vessel Design Registration shall be submitted to TSASK along with non-destructive examination results (UT preferable) to establish the vessels condition.  ASME code calculations verifying that the vessel, in its present condition, is suitable for its intended service are also required. If the original hydrotest is not adequate for the new conditions, a pressure test will be required.

The same applies to the derating of vessels.

Return to Directory

Question 3:

Is design registration required to rerate piping systems?

A:  Yes.  For piping the original construction data report, a new line list and a thickness evaluation report, based on an ultrasonic examination, which provides the actual thicknesses are all required to be submitted to TSASK. Also, if the original hydrotest is not adequate for the new conditions, a pressure test will be required. If the original piping has not registered, we will also require the P&ID.

The forms required are TSK-1003 General Engineering Requirements for the Design and Construction of Pressure Piping Systems and TSK-1011 Application for the Registration of a Pressure Piping Design.

The same applies to the derating of piping systems.

Return to Directory

Question 4:

Is there an alternative to having a CRN for a boiler or pressure vessel in Saskatchewan?

A:  Yes.  Click here for a flowchart to navigate the exceptions or read the information provided on the page by clicking here.  

Return to Directory

Question 5:

If the boiler or pressure vessel is registered using the alternative to a CRN, what information gets recorded on the nameplate?

A:  The nameplate shall meet the requirements of the applicable ASME Code and/or CSA B51. A CRN will not be issued by TSASK when the alternative to CRN registration process is followed. Therefore, a "3" will not be added to the suffix of the CRN issued by another province nor will the CRN that is stamped on the nameplate contain the “3” for Saskatchewan.  

TSASK tracks these vessels by issuing a unique Saskatchewan "SK" number which is recorded in the TSASK data bases and is added to the unit by the local TSASK Inspector.   Owners who register the data report shall contact the local TSASK Inspector to make arrangements for the stamping of the registration number.

Return to Directory

Question 6:

Which categories of fittings are exempt from registration in Saskatchewan?

A:  Standard Category A, B, C or G fittings as set out in the CSA B51 code that comply with the specifications and standards listed in:

  • Table 126.1 of ASME B31.1-2016
  • Table 326.1 of ASME B31.3-2016
  • Table 526.1 of ASME B31.5-2016
  • Pressure relieve devices that comply with ASME/NBBI code

Return to Directory

Question 7:

Do pressure relief valves have to be registered in Saskatchewan?

A:  No, pressure relief devices are a category G fitting, therefore registration is not required.   In addition, pressure relief devices that comply with ASME/NBBI code do not need registration.

Return to Directory

Question 8:

May we submit our design application electronically?

A: Great News! Effective January 1st, 2019, TSASK will start accepting electronic submissions for design review. Please look out for updates in the coming months.   

Return to Directory

Question 9:

What is the current turnaround time for a non-expedited design submission?

A:  Standard turnaround time is currently 4 weeks.

Return to Directory

Question 10:

What is the current turnaround time for a data report registration?

A:  Turnaround for data report registration is currently 1 week.

Return to Directory

Question 11:

If I have a CRN from another province, do I still need to register in Saskatchewan?

A:  Yes. This would be considered a “reciprocal registration”.  Design review time is considerably less than a regular review.

Return to Directory

Question 12:

If I apply for expedited service, may I expect a CRN by the ‘date expected’?

A:  If the design survey engineer has any questions or concerns regarding your submission, they will respond by the ‘date expected’.  However, a CRN is not guaranteed by then. If there are no issues with your design submission, you will receive a CRN by the ‘date expected’.

Return to Directory

Question 13:

How may I find out if a CRN is registered in Saskatchewan?

A:  The easiest way to obtain this information is to call our office at 1-306-798-7111 or Toll Free at 1-866-530-8559 and ask to speak with a design survey engineer who can look up the CRN for you.

Return to Directory

Question 14:

May I get a copy of a CRN registration letter?

A:  Yes, however this administrative service is subject to an hourly fee.  You may obtain a copy of a CRN registration letter by completing an Application for Demand Service and submitting it to our office. 

Return to Directory

Question 15:

If the inspector of fabricated piping being built to ASME B31.3 outside of Canada is an Authorized Inspector who is not associated with the owner directly, should he/she be signing the Certificate of Inspection box on TSK-1002 Construction Data Reports for Pressure Piping Systems form?  If so, does he/she sign as the owner/client's inspector or the provincial Authorized Inspector spot?

A:  For ASME B31.3 piping, the Authorized Inspector referred to in your question is deemed the owner/client inspector.  As such, he/she should sign as the owner's inspector.

Return to Directory

Question 16:

I have a multiple package submission.  There will be more than one company providing the piping.  I would like an explanation around "owner's requirements" referred to in IP-2016-07-03 Application for the Registration of a Pressure Piping Design Using Multiple Submission Packages Paragraph 4.2.3.

A:  Some owners have requirements for piping that are more stringent than the minimum code requirements.  When not in conflict with code requirements, the owner's requirements need to be followed.

Return to Directory

Question 17:

I would like confirmation that a fabricator located outside of Canada may start work before TSASK acceptance.

A:  TSASK requires that an applicant obtain registration prior to starting construction.  Please refer to CSA B51-14 Code Clause 4.1.1.

Return to Directory

Question 18:

Why did we get charged the expedited fee when we did not receive registration within the stipulated working days?

A:  An expedited fee is charged when your review is completed within the stipulated working days. Having the review completed does not mean the registration has been issued. When there are clarifications and/or modifications to the design required, additional working days may apply.  TSASK does not guarantee the registration is completed in the expedited time frame - just the review.

Return to Directory