Pressure Piping Design
New Pressure Piping Design Registration Program - Effective October 3rd, 2016
In consultation with stakeholders, TSASK Codes & Standards Compliance (CSC) has revamped the process for the registration of pressure piping designs. in addition to the updating of papers and forms, CSC is rolling out new options for the registration of pressure piping systems. The changes include:
- Design Audits for QMS/QCP manual holders with registered piping material specifications;
- Expansion of the old Pressure Relief Device Isolation Valve Control Program to include other options outlined in ASME Sec VIII Div 1 Appendix M (Note: This program will now be under the control of the TSASK Inspections staff);
- Acceptance of applications from multiple designers for one installation;
- Registration of skid designs - register the design once and build the design over and over again without having to re-register the design for each skid fabricated;
- Expansion of the Pressure Relief Device Common Discharge Header program to remove the limitation of just one valve opening to relieve all the pressure. Now one or more is acceptable provided the owner provides the design analysis;
- Reiteration of the requirements for manufacturers of pressure piping systems to submit TSK-1002 and TSK-1001 Completion of Constructon to CSC for retention. Only repairs (like for like) do not require the form to be sent in. However, the completed TSK-1002 Construction Data Report for Pressure Piping Designs for repairs shall be retained by owners/manufactures and available to TSASK upon request; and
- a few other twists.
TSK-1001 Completion of Construction - New Form
TSK-1002 Construction Data Reports for Pressure Piping Systems - updated to include registered skids
TSK-1011 Application for the Registration of a Pressure Piping Design - significantly revised
IP-2011-03-01 Overpressure Protection by System Design (OPPSD) Requirements - editorial changes & new format
IP-2014-03-01 Guide for Completing Form TSK-1002 Construction Data Report for Pressure Piping Systems - revised to include registered skid designs, editorial changes and a new format.
The following flowchart provides guidance on how to navigate all the new policy and information papers and updated forms.
Pressure Relief Device Isolation Valve Control Program - repealed
A new expanded program which now includes additional parts of ASME Sec VIII Div 1 Appendix M and ASME B31.3. The old program is now obsolete. Owners who have the old program shall be contacted by TSASK to upgrade their program. TSASK recognizes that the implementation of the new program will take a few years. All old PRD Isolation Valve Control Programs are frozen. No changes shall be made to the existing programs. If an owner needs to revise their registered program, they should contact TSASK immediately and ask to speak to a TSASK Inspector.
The Pressure Relief Path (PRP) Stop Valve Control Program is now under Boilers & Pressure Vessels. Please go to that page to view the links.
Documents under Development
Policy Paper TSASK-2016-07-02 - Registration Process for Engineered Pressure Enclosures (Leak Boxes) - still under development
Information Paper IP-2016-07-10 - Acceptance of Portable Pressure Equipment - has been retracted. The earlier version on portable equipment - IP-2008-04-01 is undergoing editorial changes and some format changes and will be released under a Revision 4. For now, IP-2008-04-01 Rev 3 remains in effect.
Additional Information or Questions
If possible, applicants should contact thir Design Reviewer directly with questions. Be sure to include the TSASK reference number or provide enough detail that the Design Reviewer will know which application is being referenced
For all other design inquiries, please contact TSASK Codes & Standards Compliance:
- By email at CodesandStandards@tsask.ca; or
- By phone at either (306) 798-7111 (Regina) or Toll Free (866) 530-8599. Please ask to speak to either a TSASK Design Reviewer or the Manager, Codes & Standards Compliance.