Ask Us a question

Frequently Asked Questions

What types of amusement rides & devices are regulated?

The Amusement Ride Safety Act regulations apply to rides normally found at travelling exhibitions, fairs, and other venues (i.e. merry go rounds, haunted houses, roller coasters) and inflatable rides used at public events (i.e. bouncy castles).

What is exempt?

Certain inflatables:

The Amusement Ride Safety Act regulations do not cover rides or devices on private property. Inflatables must meet the manufacturer’s standards established by the safety act. The individual assumes a risk when providing his/her guests the use of an inflatable device the same as the rider assumes a risk when using an inflatable.

The regulations also exempt inflatable devices used for advertisement purposes as the safety act states an amusement ride exists for the purposes of amusement.


The regulations exempt trampolines because trampolines do not have a mechanical component.


The Ministry of Health regulates waterslides.

Zip lines / Aerial adventure courses

Zip lines / aerial adventure courses operate without a mechanical component and are exempt because gravity moves the rider. Ride owners take the responsibility for ride assembly, based on manufacturer standards. The rider assumes the risk of using the ride and has little control over the ride insofar as gravity manipulates the movement of the rider. In addition, there is no mechanical equipment to inspect.

Coin operated or mall rides

Shopping mall rides, or coin operated rides are exempt because rides erected in malls have mall liability insurance. Mall rides do not require operator intervention because mall rides operate by coin. Mall rides run on a times circuit whereby the ride shuts off after a set period.

Mechanical bulls

The Amusement Ride Safety Regulations ensure a rider safely uses a ride, whereas the purpose of a mechanical bull or device may cause injury. The rider understands the risk and knows the device restricts the rider from staying on.