Initial Qualification Test
An Initial Pressure Welder’s Test must be performed if you have never had a Pressure Weld licence before.
Anyone wishing to register for an Initial Pressure Welder test must provide proof that they meet one of the following criteria:
- Possessing a journeyperson’s certificate in welder trade;
- Having acceptable certified 5400 hrs ("3 years") welding work experience;
- Holding/held a pressure welder’s certificate issued by another jurisdiction in Canada; or
- Previously tested through TSASK.
Proof of qualification is required with your application.
The test will be conducted according to ASME Section IX on a 6 inch, A106B Sch. 80 pipe.
The test will be guided by BPVS-00 (TSASK’s WPS) which covers:
- SMAW process
- F3 (6010) open root
- F4 (7018) fill
- P1 to P1
- 2G (1/3 of pipe circumference) & 5G (2/3 of pipe circumference)
Test coupons may be purchased from TSASK or self-supplied. If you supply your own test coupon, its dimensions must meet the ones in the drawing. For NPS 6, please see the NPS 6 Weld Coupon Drawing.
Your Pressure Welder's licence will be issued once you have passed the qualification test. The licence will be valid for two years, is un-restricted and can be transferred to other jurisdictions in Canada.
Per Section 150 of the Boiler and Pressure Vessel Regulations if you do not pass the initial qualification test on your first attempt, you will have to wait 30 days before testing again.