Elevating Device Mechanic (EDM) Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get certified and licensed as an EDM?
- Apply and pay for the Saskatchewan Elevator Safety Acts & Regulations course and exam.
- The cost is $75.00.
- Once we process your application, within 10 days, you will be sent a link to the online course and exam.
- After completing the course you can take the online exam.
- If you pass, you will be able to download your Certificate of Completion right away.
- If unsuccessful, you will have to reapply and pay to retake the exam, the cost to retake the exam is $75.00.
- After passing the Saskatchewan Elevator Safety Acts & Regulations exam:
- Complete the Elevating Device Mechanic Certification Work Experience Form, this form is required for your certification.
- Once the Work Experience form is filled out you can apply for an Elevating Device Mechanic Certificate of Qualification & Licence.
- You must meet the requirements outlined on the form to apply.
- The cost is $200.
- For full details see the Elevating Device Mechanic Certification Information Paper.
- The Manager of Elevator Safety will review your credentials. Once complete, your Elevating Device Mechanic Certificate of Qualification and Elevating Device Mechanic Licence will be mailed to you.
How long is the exam?
The exam is comprised of 50 questions that you will have 3.5 hours to complete.
What if I fail the exam but have all the other requirements? Can I apply for the Elevating Device Mechanic licence?
No, you will not be approved. You will need to retake the exam and achieve a passing mark to apply for your licence.
How long is an Elevating Device Mechanic licence valid?
An EDM licence is valid for 2 years.
If I renew my licence, do I need to retake the course and exam?
At this time no, once you have taken the Saskatchewan Elevator Safety Acts & Regulations course and passed the exam, you do not have to retake it. However if there are changes to industry or the Acts & Regulations this may change.
Will I be given a licence number?
Yes, you will be given a unique licence number that will never change and will be linked to your file.
How long will it take to review my credentials?
Your credentials will be reviewed within 2 weeks.
What if I don't have an email address?
The Saskatchewan Elevator Safety Acts & Regulations course and exam are online. The links for each will be emailed, so you do require access to an email account.
You can use a friend or family member's email address if you do not have an email address. Or visit any place that has free computer access, like your local union office, the public library, or Government Employment Services; most have staff available to assist with setting up a free email account.
What if I don't have a computer?
You will require access to a computer or mobile device as the Saskatchewan Elevator Safety Acts & Regulations course, and exam are online.
If you do not have your own device or access to a friend or family member's, you can visit any place with free computer access, like your local union office, the public library, or Government Employment Services.
Do I have to apply/pay online?
If you do not have computer access or do not want to complete any of the applications online, contact us at 306.798.7111 to have an application mailed out to you or visit our Regina office at 2202 2nd Ave.
Will you accept a cheque?
Cheques will be accepted; they MUST be accompanied by a completed application.