Effective September 1, 2022, anyone who performs regulated work on Elevating Devices must hold an Elevating Device Mechanic Licence or be under the supervision of a licensed Elevating Device Mechanic (EDM).
EDM Certification & Licensing ensures Elevating Technicians have the knowledge and skills to perform elevating device work in compliance with provincial legislation and adopted safety codes.
What Does this Mean?
Elevating Device Mechanics and anyone qualifying for a Contractor’s Licence must complete the Saskatchewan Elevator Safety Acts & Regulations online course and exam before applying for licensing.
The new Certification and Elevating Device Mechanic Licence will be required to construct, install, alter, repair, test and maintain regulated Elevator Equipment in the province of Saskatchewan and must be renewed every 2 years.
How to Apply For Elevating Device Mechanic Certification & Licensing
- Complete the Saskatchewan Elevator Safety Acts & Regulations course and exam online form.
- Once we receive your completed application and fee, you will be sent a link to the online course within 10 days.
- You will be sent a link to the online exam within 10 days when you have completed the course.
- If you do not pass the exam, you will have to apply to retake it for an additional fee.
- After passing the Saskatchewan Elevator Safety Acts & Regulations exam:
- Complete the Elevating Device Mechanic Certification Work Experience Form, this form is required for your certification.
Please note you cannot apply for the Certificate of Qualification until you have passed the Saskatchewan Elevator Safety Acts & Regulations exam and completed the Work Experience form.
- Once the Work Experience form is filled out you can apply for an Elevating Device Mechanic Certificate of Qualification & Licence.
- The Manager of Elevator Safety will review your credentials. Once complete your Elevating Device Mechanic Certificate of Qualification and Elevating Device Mechanics Licence will be mailed to you.
For more details, see the Elevating Device Mechanic Certification Information Paper and our Frequently Asked Questions.
How to Apply For Elevating Device Mechanic-in-Training (MIT)
This application should be completed by those wanting to acquire an MIT licence as outlined in Section 6: Mechanic-in-Training Requirements and Information.
TSASK will evaluate the application and if it is approved, a 2-year MIT Licence will be issued. Incomplete applications will not be processed, and applicants will be informed if any information is missing so that they may make the necessary revisions.