Ask Us a question

Frequently Asked Questions

Plumbing Permits

When do I need a permit?

A permit is required for design, installation, construction, addition, renovation, alteration, repair, removal, or operation of a plumbing system*. A permit is also required for the connection of plumbing systems to communal waterworks*. These conditions also apply to rural property.

Who can take out a permit?

In a setting under the authority of TSASK:

A permit can be issued to a Journeyperson plumber or a registered Contractor that employs a plumbing Journeyperson. Some jurisdictions may have additional requirements, such as a business licence.

A homeowner can apply for a permit subject to the following restrictions:

  1. The plumbing system is not to be connected to a communal waterworks or communal sewage works; and
  2. The single family dwelling unit is intended to be used exclusively for living quarters and will be occupied by the owner.

Can I take a permit out no matter where I live in Saskatchewan?

No, permits are dependant on your geographical area.

There are 5 Local Authorities in Saskatchewan:

  1. The city of Lloydminster
  2. The city of Regina
  3. The city of Saskatoon
  4. The Global Transportation Hub (GTH)
  5. The remainder of the province outside the limits of those listed above are under the authority of the Technical Safety Authority of Saskatchewan (TSASK)

The cities of Lloydminster, Regina, Saskatoon and the GTH operate under a separate agreement. If you live within one of those areas, please contact them for specific requirements.

Where can I apply for a permit?

You can apply for a permit on or by calling TSASK toll free at 1.866.530.8599.

How much does a permit cost?

There are four different fee ranges based on the number of connected fixtures:

  • 0 - 6 Fixtures $130.00
  • 7 - 16 Fixtures $185.00
  • 17 - 29 Fixtures $350.00
  • 30 + Fixtures $575.00

What happens if I don’t take out a permit?

Future permit privileges may be denied, and the cause of interest (corrections required) may be registered in the Land Titles Registry against the title to the land.

You may also be denied connection to a communal waterworks* system.

I live on rural property and will have a private water and sewage system do I need a permit?

Yes, you still require a permit for a rural property with a private water/sewage system.

You can apply for a permit on or call TSASK toll free at 1.866.530.8599.

In addition to the required permit from TSASK, you must apply for a permit at your local Saskatchewan Public Health office for the sewage disposal system as per the Private Sewage Works Regulations.

How do I know my contractor took out a permit?

Legally you can request a copy of any permit for work performed on your property, this applies to Plumbing, Gas, or Electrical work. If a contractor is unwilling to supply a copy of a permit, please call TSASK toll free at 1.866.530.8599.

In Saskatchewan what plumbing regulations and codes must be followed?

Can a permit application be denied?

Yes, if the local authority determines that the applicant is unable to perform the installation or construction in a safe and acceptable way.

What do I do when I’m ready for an inspection?

Contact the inspector in your area, for scheduling we require a minimum of 48 hours (2 business days) notice.

More than one inspection* may be required, a new home for example will require one inspection for the rough in (underground, stacks and drains) and another after the fixtures are installed.

Do I need more than one inspection?

Yes, this is dependent on the type of construction. Normally the initial inspection* is to ensure code compliance of drains, venting and underground.

A second inspection* is to ensure proper installation of fixtures including p-traps and water backflow prevention.

 Is a clearance letter issued when the installation passes inspection?

A clearance letter is available on request, the owner or contractor can contact the inspector in your area.

What if I want to finish interior walls but the complete rough in is not ready for inspection?

Contact the inspector in your area for a partial inspection*, there is an additional charge for this.

Do I need a permit for a certified mobile home?

Yes, a permit is required for the connection to a plumbing system*. There is a base fee of $130 for this permit, as this is a certified home there is no additional charge for the fixtures.

Does a Ready to Move (RTM) home need a plumbing permit?

Yes, normally the inspection* is performed at the construction yard and if approved a sticker will be applied. This sticker is verification that the installation meets minimum code requirements.

When placed on a permanent site a second permit is required. This second permit covers the connections of the home to the sewer and water system.

What if I buy a permit then decide I’m not doing the work?

 Email or call TSASK at 1.866.530.8599.

How do I contact my area inspector?

See the Plumbing Inspector Contact list on for the inspector in your area.

What if I only replace a fixture?

A permit is not required for:

  1. The repair or replacement of a valve, faucet, or fixture,
  2. The repair of a leak,
  3. Forcing out a stoppage if no change in the piping is required, or
  4. The installation of a water treatment device, underground sprinklers, a domestic dishwashing machine or a laundry machine.         

Are fixtures and taps l buy online acceptable?

The National Plumbing Code requires that in Canada all appliances, materials and fixtures must meet a minimum standard certified by the Canadian Standards Association (CSA) or another accredited testing agency.

What if something is not installed correctly (defect)?

The area inspector will issue a correction order to the permit holder (Homeowner, plumbing Journeyperson, or Contractor).

In the case where a Journeyperson or Contractor submitted the permit, the Homeowner will be copied on the correction notice. Should the Journeyperson or Contractor fail to make the necessary corrections the responsibility for the corrections falls to the owner of the building.

Plumbing Terms*

Communal sewage works: any works used in the collection, storage, transmission, treatment, or disposal of sewage for more than one property.

Communal waterworks: a system of piping and appurtenances used in the supply, collection, treatment, storage, or distribution of water for more than one property. For example, a water meter from a municipality, or a rural water line or drip system supplied by SaskWater or others.

Inspection: the inspection of ongoing or incomplete plumbing systems and work to ascertain whether the Act or regulations under the Act have been or are being complied with.

Plumbing system: the whole or any part of a drainage system, a venting system, or a water system, but does not include private sewage works.

Private sewage works: sewage works defined by The Private Sewage Works Regulations.